<Prev> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <Next>

We worked Monday through Saturday and took Sundays off. Some of the younger folk got out to see the
countryside more, but us older folk mostly just rested.

There was an upscale restaurant about a mile and a half walk from the village called the Pyramid-- an
Egyptian theme. Since it was constructed using metal beams, it withstood the earthquake just fine. This
place was quite an investment for someone, but there were seldom any other customers there but us.

A good meal cost about $2.50. At another restaurant we frequented once a week, the Bambu, they had an English menu that
we wish we'd stolen as a souvenir. It sported such items as "Dishwater Chicken with Hotplate." The notable
dessert, "Grilled Cheese Banana" became our favorite dare for newly arrived team members. It's pictured below.


One weekend, we arranged for Suparman to drive us north of Yogyakarta to Borobudur temple, one of
the largest Buddhist temples in the world. It's a major tourist attraction and covers an entire hillside.


While we were visiting the temple, Suparman nosed around and found out about a wedding ceremony taking place
in a remote village nearby. For such occasions, they hire a team of traditional Javanese dancers from the big city and
hold the festivities outside. The whole village comes to watch and there are even street vendors (TC bought a slice
of fried buttered bread for a nickel.) Jo-Ann and I and TC watched and the people soon forgot that we were there.

The traditional dancing sometimes involves certain performers biting the head off a live chicken and drinking the
blood. Luckily, we didn't see that ourselves, but Marc encountered it once.


On the way back, we stopped at a Warung, a restaurant that keeps a variety of dishes in the front
window. You get a big bowl of rice and then pick the items from the window a la carte. Jo-Ann can't stand
spicy food so she asked for recommendations. Suparman pointed her to a dish that wasn't spicy. She found out later
it was kidney wrapped in intestines and managed quite deftly to hide it under an eneaten pile of the rice.

We also stopped at a silver store and watched the craftsmen create brooches from tiny silver filigree.


Our next destination was Mt. Merapi, the tall volcano that looks to the northeast of Yogya. There was an
eruption there a few weeks before and we were able to drive up the mountain and view the canyons created
by the lava flow and see houses that had been partially buried.

On a clear day one can see Merapi (9,626 ft.) from Sawit, but the pollution made that rare.


We stopped at a sarong shop so TC could buy himself a native sarong. We also got him to try on a fez.

Later that evening, on arriving home, TC got a surprise. Knowing it was his birthday, the neighbors
had dug out a few of their rare remaining items as gifts and arranged a birthday party. On arrival, TC was
doused with a bucket of water (Javanese tradition??). The folks had borrowed our camera from the house and
got a picture of the occasion for us.


Here we are headed back to work...


Here is Mohamed, the chief of one of the village's five sub-districts, directing the work at a site
in his area. School children play in the rice fields.


Below: The view from one of our roof jobs. (It was nice to be looking at something other than the side of
a brick pile for a change!) When we walked the 1/4 mile to a work site in the morning, and again after lunch
we met lots of people and had to wave/shake hands/high five/hug many people on the way. Took a little extra
time to get to work, but it's nice being known in the community.



<Prev> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <Next>